Tuesday, November 3, 2015

The Next Generation


The Next Generation

Once in a while you’re in the right place at the right time – the stars align and you get to witness the birth of a martial artist. I have a young student (Joe – 12 years old) who has been training for 2 years. He is an exemplary student; quiet, focused and disciplined – the kind who doesn’t require your constant attention. That can be a disadvantage because there are many others that require concerted attention. This post comes by way of letting him know that he is acknowledged and appreciated. Recently he came to me and, spurred by an illustration in a book about martial arts, asked a question about the technique presented. Uncertain of the exact intent of the picture he presented, and based on my experience, I gave him my best guess. It seems that my answer was sufficient and satisfying. The next time I saw the young man, he had a few questions. Together we considered the subjects and came to an understanding. Soon, the questions were more closely related to Wing Chun Do. Suddenly, I was teaching WCD to a kid. Now, it seems that every time I meet with Joe, he’s eager to learn and I’m all too happy to help. It’s good to be a teacher!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails