Wednesday, September 2, 2015

A Teacher's Unique Insight - It's Gold



"When did Sijo DeMile say that? "When did Sijo show you that?" "I've never seen that!
These expressions of incredulity were understandable and easily answered.

Creative people never stop creating. They are always thinking - whether in research groups, one on one with a mentor or student, while shopping during dinner at a restaurant or at a friend's apartment, waiting for phone call from Hong Kong.

Sijo tells many stories about conversing with Bruce, late at night, about the concepts, philosophy and application of martial technique. Such conversations - experienced one on one generated insights unique to those special moments. Here is one such incident that gave me a unique insight.

During my 1997 visit to the Shoreline school in Seattle, there happened a truly priceless occurrence. It was day four of the week long camp. The evening's training session had ended and along with my friend Mark, I was reviewing the day's lesson on a closing the gap technique called gai bo. Sijo was sitting in a chair near the wall and our practice caught his attention. At that moment, he had what I now believe to be a spontaneous realization concerning a subtle modification of the technique. He rose from the chair and came over to where we were working. He said, "Try not stepping so far out." He then demonstrated a narrow angular step and shot a bui jee straight at my head, totally disrupting my base. I tried it a few times and suspected that it would become my personal expression of gai bo. When I returned home, I performed it while training with my fellow Instructors-in-Training, they were confused and a little incredulous, saying that they had never seen Sijo teach the technique in that way.

The point is, triggered by my difficulty performing a technique, Sijo was spontaneously inspired to create a modification tailored personally for me. How lucky to be in that place, at that time, to receive a nugget of true gold. Even better, many of my students have also benefited by my experience. Thank you Sijo!

1 comment:

Jim Styro said...

Another great post, Sigung. One size does not fit all - and a skilled teacher is able to recognize and adjust. Thanks for taking time to share this story.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails